4.21.2008

Second Off The Wheel


In my rush to experience color on the wheel, I worked up some of Lorna's Lace's 100% combed wool top in the Watercolor (18) colorway. The roving is put up in 10-ounce balls, and I've got three of them. (Another great find from A New Yarn.) I have to say, the roving itself didn't look overly exciting, but it really brightened up in the spinning!


To-date, I've spun and plied 4 ounces. Total yardage is 257; average wpi is 13-14, making this a sport/DK weight. Again, the yarn is remarkably well-balanced and consistent, especially considering it's only my second attempt on the wheel!

Given how much of this wool I have and how well it's spinning, I'm planning to knit it into an adaptation of Lijuan Jing’s Swirl Shawl, which I saw made up at the Yarn Barn on my recent trip to Lawrence, Kansas. It was love at first sight!

Look for my next post to return to knitting topics. My Mom's Couch handspun is on its way to becoming a finished object!

No comments: