It's been awhile since I made these spindles for J & C. Time to share!
This one's for J. He's really going to town on that multicolored Merino roving I gave him, which we rolled off Seattle Spinner and onto this one.
I think the mandala looks amazing. We did cut in a notch since there's no strong visual line for him to align off of.
This one gave me fits. You may recall from this post that we intended her spindle to have a mommy and baby horse. I could not find a decent image that would work around the spindle hole. Everything I pulled looked awful. You know, massive holes in baby's head and the like. Even though one of the horses is cut off in this image, it still looks good overall. C loves it. She has even done some spinning on it! Not a lot, though, which is fine by me. I'm not going to push. Just want it here when she's ready... a pretty bit of inspiration.
I used two CDs each instead of one this time. Adds weight and may even stabilize a bit more. Both are really long spinners, which impresses me to no end. I know people complain about cup hooks on homemade spindles. Frankly, I don't have a problem with them at all. You do have to be careful when putting them on — don't want to split the shaft — but it's not that difficult adjusting your wrap so it lands in the hook.
Yup... I really like these spindles!
In knitting news: The twined-knitting, stealth project has hit a whopping length of 6 inches! Time for some decreasing. The end is in sight!