7.09.2008

Rocking My Baby To Sleep

C sleeps better if she’s wearing socks. At first I thought it was just a “thing,” but then I heard a report on NPR about a scientific study that actually confirms it! (Darned if I can find the program now to link it, though.) To help the girlio out, I made her these sleeping socks.


Pattern: Mash-Up Magic Toe-Up Socks (recipe by me). Ravelers, get it here.
Materials: Rowan Designer DK Wool, 100% wool, superwash
Needles: US 5 / 3.75 mm (KnitPicks Options 40")
Started: July 5, 2008
Completed: July 7, 2008
Primary Stitch Count: 40
Total knitting time: Maybe 5-6 hours, including taking step-by-step pictures.

Although these are yet another pair of socks that don't count towards my Summer of Socks 2008 participation (can you believe it?!), they do double-duty for me:
  1. They were an opportunity to make something C wanted that wouldn't take too much time away from other projects (and she was started to do the "Mommy never makes things for me" routine).
  2. They served as the perfect "workshop" sock for the tutorial/pictorial I've promised for this sock pattern (which will appear in a subsequent post).
The yarn is a great superwash 100% wool that Rowan discontinued in 2000, in favor or its Wool Cotton line. I picked up 2 skeins at A New Yarn, and I'm thinking I'll go back for the rest of the skeins if they're still there. This is really wonderful yarn—very cushiony! Too bad it's no longer available. I have enough left to knit C a second pair of these socks or some wristwarmers. If I can nab a few more skeins, I'll probably make her a garment.

Since they're sleeping socks and C's feet seem to be growing about a half inch every six months right now, I decided to make them with a little extra ease.


She's really happy with them and says they make her want to dance. Oh no! I hope these sleeping socks don't end up producing the opposite effect!

2 comments:

juicyknits said...

These are really cute. I hope she gets them to show off a bit as well.
So, let her dance in them. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I like that those are a little bit thicker and heavier than regular tiny-yarn socks. The heel looks really interesting. I'll have to check the pattern to see how you did it. Nifty!